Indian marriage is a symbol of union of two people and their families. Indian marriages are slightly different from the marriages perform outside India. Even in India, Indian Marriages are perfromed in different ways. Through this blog post we’ll be going to discuss about the Seven Promises which Indian couple made with each other during Hindu wedding. Through these promises couple decides to unite and understand that from the day onwards they will become a single entity.
The Seven Promises often referred as “Saath Pehras” are as mentioned below:
- In the first round or phera, the couple prays to God for plenty of nourishing and pure food. They pray to God to let them walk together so that they will get food.
- In the second round, the couple prays to God for a healthy and prosperous life. They ask for the physical, spiritual and mental health from God.
- In the third Phera the couple prays to God for wealth. They ask God for the strength for both of them so that they can share the happiness and pain together. Also, they pray so that they can walk together to get wealth.
- In the fourth round the couple prays to God for the increase in love and respect for each other and their respective families.
- The bride and groom together pray for the beautiful, heroic and noble children from God in the fifth step.
- In the sixth holy round around the fire, the couple asks for the peaceful long life with each other.
- In the final seventh round the couple prays to god for companionship, togetherness, loyalty and understanding between themselves. They ask God to make them friends and give the maturity to carry out the friendship for lifetime. The husband says to his new wife that now they have become friends after the Seven Vows/Sat Phere and they will not break their friendship in life.
To keep the Marriage happy and long lasting its expected from both Husband and Wife that they’ll follow and try to keep all these promises with best of their capabilities.